22 October 2010

Kaikoura's baby seals :)





After much debate (due to weather conditions, driving time etc) we decided against backtracking to Abel Tasman National Park (this will have to wait until we come to the South Island again!! They have great 3-4 day treks here!), we headed over to Picton via a very very very windy, narrow, but scenic! route. All through the mountains to Queen Charlotte Sound, where there is a lovely ferry harbour and town. We took full advantage of the rare sunshine and enjoyed fish & chips on the harbour front. Then, on to Kaikoura, the MOST AMAZING town!! Oh. My. God. What a gorgeous scenic drive down the coast: snow-capped mountains, turquoise ocean, black sand beaches…..wow. I can’t say enough about this incredible place. We stopped a few times so I could get my wildlife kick and watch the NZ fur seals playing in the ocean and lounging on the rocks. Later we did a short walk up to a waterfall where - believe me, it’s incredible - baby seal pups swim up the creek from the beach and play in the waterfall lagoon while their mums feed. They are just ADORABLE and I can’t believe you can just walk up to the waterfall and enjoy watching them, for free and without fence guards or anything. I was just mesmerised. Tomorrow we are off on a 2.5hr walk around the point, the lighthouse and to watch MORE SEALS!!!! Then if weather is cooperating, we will be doing a sea kayak all afternoon to see the seals feeding on octopus and other exciting things. What a wonderful day. I love New Zealand!