11 November 2012

Travel Babbling 2.0 - tips!

So when I went to Kenya and Tanzania, I tried out a new method of packing. I left my suitcases at home, and just took one carry-on size backpack, and a daypack. It was amazingly FREE and unencumbered. Plus, not waiting for luggage at the carrousel.

Of course, things have changed since then. Now you can't have liquids over 100ml in carry-on bags. Now i travel with a large bag with a million pockets, and I check a backpack. When I went to Morocco I met an annoying woman with a daypack, a large backpack, another large bag and....yes, a YOGA MAT. I am not kidding. she could not possibly carry all that herself so was endlessly needing porters and people to help her. How many clothes do you really need?

I think I am travelling with too much stuff. Still. But I have discovered merino wool, what an amazing fabric. Cool in the hot weather, warm in cold weather, is very light and easy to pack, dries quickly when you wash it in your tiny hotel sink at the end of each day...and seriously, I could wear one merino t-shirt for a week before I washed it, the fabric isn't like synthetics which retain um, sweaty smells shall we say? On this trip, being in the tropics and then in Antarctica, I have 3 merino tshirts, one pair of lightweight shorts with zipoff legs, 2 long sleeve merino shirts, 3 prs of merino undies, and a couple pairs of socks, plus a fleecy jumper, a merino jumper, and a gore-tex jacket. Done.

As for washing clothes...when i jump in the shower at the end of the day, I take whatever needs washing and do it in the shower usually. Hotel laundries: expensive. Local laundries: RISKY! i used to have a gorgeous white travel shirt...it is now a pale shade of blue (thanks, Morocco) after handing my stuff over the some locals.

Unfortunately I am into technology...this requires universal adaptors, card readers, external drive, netbook, iPhone, cameras+chargers etc etc....This is all heavy AND it takes up a whole lot of space. Of course, the reason for a holiday is to get away from it all, but I prefer to have some contact with home and family, check my banking statements online, and check weather conditions or things to do in different places.

At the end of the day my backpack weighs around 13kgs, well below the usual 20 or 22kg weight limits for air travel.

So back to people watching. At night in Rio, we sit by our window, having a beer and watching the world go by. And i keep seeing this lovely old lady, walking slowly down the street, guiding her blind husband. They are adorable. AND adventurous! I wish I could speak with them and find out where they are from. They are just amazing.