11 November 2012

Travel Babbling

So I have plenty of time while waiting for planes, waiting for queues, waiting for guide, and waiting in general to ponder the wonderful world of travel. And people-watch, of course.

I love to speculate about people I see - where are they going? who are they travelling with? I always talk to people wherever I go. I met the most lovely couple years ago in Arusha. They were in their 70s, kitted out in travel clothing and hiking boots. They had been trekking in Ethiopia and loved it. I had never known you could trek in Ethiopia, they have mountains!

Today I met a couple of young girls from Dominican Republic. They now live in New York and thought that Rio was going to offer them samba music, bright lights and excitement. They were quite disappointed in Rio, it fell short of their expectations. Also met 2 couples from England, travelling through Brazil and the Amazon. I get great travel ideas from people I meet randomly.

As for language...it's always fun and frustrating to try and communicate in another language. Luckily I have studied Spanish for years, and it's coming in handy in South America. Even though I'm not fluent, I can read and understand a lot, and I get by quite well. Being in Rio, however, is another story. Some of the words are similar to Spanish but mostly....not at all. Going to the supermarket is a challenge - i wanted to buy some yummy looking french style baguettes. I just waited until another guy filled up his bag from the basket, and weighed it on a scale, and off he went. I wondered...did he write down the weight? Did he remember what the price was? Anyway, I put my bag on the scale, and lo and behold, it spit out a sticky tag with the price on it. Nice one, as the cashier spoke not a word of English. She asked me a few questions and after I smiled and said, 'Obrigado' (thank you) she laughed out loud and we sorted things out quite nicely. In a restaurant they wrote the amount of the bill down for me instead of telling me the amount.

Even if you don't speak the language, you can smile, a LOT. And learn just a few words! I have said 'obrigado' about a hundred times now and each time it elicits a friendly smile. I certainly don't expect everyone to speak English. It frustrates me to hear travellers complaining that 'they don't even speak English'. Well of course not!!