15 December 2012

Antarctica - the Zodiak experience

So...we didn't kayak *all* the time on the expedition cruise. We actually got into the Zodiacs a few times as well. The Zodiaks are fantastic things, they fit 5 people on each side, sitting on the edges. They are quite hardy, crunching through ice chunks, driving onto shore landings sometimes onto a pebbly rocky beach, other times, up onto an iceberg. We saw lots of great stuff from the Zodiacs - leopard seals and such, but I would not usually want to pick them over the kayaks. I prefer non-engine type boats like kayaks any day!

(Although having said that...after my polar plunge I was stoked to get into a Zodiac and quickly get whisked away back to the ship and a hot shower. But more about that in my next post! )

One feels quite safe in a Zodiac, however one of the expedition crew told me that once, his Zodiac (no passengers) actually flipped right over in the rugged windy Antarctic conditions, and he flew into the freezing water. Hmm. Anyway, not a problem on our trip!