15 December 2012

Polar Plunge - what was i thinking!!????

Well. The title of this post about says it all. What WAS I thinking!! it was a good idea in theory. Throw off all your clothes, run into the sub-zero water, hurl your body in, and then run out, grab a towel, get dressed, and head back to the ship for either a sauna or a hot shower. Neat and tidy, done and dusted.

So we arrived at Pendulum Cove, Deception Island. This is a volcanic caldera and kind of like a semi circle. For further detail, you will have to research as I cannot remember too much. Well except for small facts like, the shore is warm due to the volcanic activity, and there is like one centimetre of warm water on the surface right at the shoreline. But anyway, the wind was blowing 60 knots when we got there and we could not safely land. So we went to another location, Whalers Bay. This was an old whaling station, still with old buildings and whale blubber boilers, and gravesites. Kind of spooky and moody and WINDY!! VERY WINDY!! blowing snow and freezing.

Anyway, I was there for a swim. So after taking a couple of pics around the place, I was surrounded by other crazy people who for some reason were taking TOO LONG to get ready for the plunge (example, 'oh...should I take off my jacket first? or my boots? BLAH!). So in the end, it was me and another girl, and we ran as fast as we could into the water. Apparently it was -.5C and yes i can tell you, fricking cold. I threw myself in as fast as I could, and then instantly lost all sensation in my fingers and toes, and feet, and arms. I was concerned that I might lose my bikini top (as does happen to me strangely very often while swimming) but could barely think. I thought my head was going to explode.

Ran back to the beach, tried in vain to pull on my trackies and boots and socks and jacket...bleh too much to think about! Hopped into a waiting Zodiac (thank god) and a short trip back to the ship, where I hobbled to the cabin and stood in a hot shower for oh, about an hour I think from memory. What a horrible experience. But oddly...glad I did it!!