11 May 2011

Sea lion interaction!!


Today was excellent. We hopped into the dinghies and went for a cruise around the island, saw some blue-footed boobies and lots of sea lions. In a small lagoon about 5 baby sea lions followed us, frolicking around the boat and swimming really fast…..then we went for a snorkel and found a spot with heaps of sea lions and we snorkelled with them for about an hour. The pups were so inquisitive and friendly, they would swim right up to my mask and look at me in the eyes, and at the last minute swerve to avoid crashing into me, then spin around and swim around me….oh my god it was the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. Everyone loved it, and we only got out of the water when we had wrinkled prune skin and were getting chilled. The sea lions were so playful and graceful underwater. Sometimes they would pop their head out of the water like a periscope, and then quickly go underwater and around me. It was a bit freaky sometimes because it was hard to believe they were so curious and non-threatening. Loved it loved it loved it. The best wildlife interaction ever!!!!

Hard to believe we are off the boat tomorrow and flying to Peru. It has been the most amazingly wonderful experience here and lovely to live on the boat, with a wonderful guide and crew, delicious meals (roast turkey, mashed potato, green beans, carrots and cauliflower plus salad for dinner and a yummy cake for dessert), great company with Aussies and Americans. I recommend it to everyone!